World Ozone Day 2020
“Earth without ozone is like a house without a roof.”
This day is celebrated on 16th September. We have all studied the ozone layer and its importance . Ozone layer is the layer which protects us from UV and harmful rays . But because of the increase in pollution,this layer is depleting day by day.
In 1994, the UN Assembly proclaimed this day as the International Ozone Day .This day is celebrated to create awareness about the Prevention of Ozone layer .
Many camps and seminars are organised by the government to educate people about the ozone layer and its importance . We should all try to reduce pollution and save the ozone layer from depleting .
WHAT IS OZONE LAYER?
As we are talking about the world ozone day,then we should know about the ozone layer. The ozone is a layer which protects earth from harmful uv rays coming directly from the sun.
Ozone is also called Ozonosphere. Upper atmosphere contains high concentrations of ozone molecules. Approx 90% of the ozone of the atmosphere occurs in the stratosphere. The Stratosphere is the region extending from 10–18 km to approximately 50 km above Earth’s surface.
The remaining ozone occurs in the troposphere of the atmosphere. Troposphere is the layer of the atmosphere that extends from Earth’s surface up to the stratosphere.
IMPORTANCE OF OZONE LAYER:
- The Ozone layer is very important for our planet. Ozone is like the roof of the earth. It protects the harmful rays from falling on the surface of earth. It does not allow harmful UV rays to enter the earth.
- If the ozone layer will get thin then the skin related diseases will get increased. Ozone protects our skin from the diseases caused by the harmful ultraviolet rays.
- If the ozone will get depleted continuously then life on earth will be at risk.
- Ozone layer protects the trees,plants,birds,animals and even us from harmful disease and problems,which could be caused by the harmful rays.
- Ozone layer is very important for our planet as it gives us shield and removes the rays out of reach of our planet.
- The ozone layer blocks all solar radiation of wavelength less than 290 nanometres from reaching Earth’s surface.
- Ozone has the potential to absorb around 97-99% of the harmful ultraviolet radiations coming from the sun that can damage life on earth.
- It blocks certain types of ultraviolet (UV) and other forms of radiation that could injure or kill most living things.
“Its threat to our zone when there’s a hole in ozone.”
CAUSES OF OZONE DEPLETION IN THE ATMOSPHERE:
First we should know about what is ozone layer depletion?
The answer to this question is, the thinning of the ozone layer due to global warming,pollution and other gases is ozone layer depletion.
- Global warming is the main reason for the depletion of the ozone layer. As global warming is increasing the thickness of the ozone layer is reducing.
- Chlorofluorocarbons or CFCs are another reason for ozone layer depletion. The soaps,perfumes,solvents,air conditioners,refrigerators,etc, are the reason for CFCs released in the atmosphere.
- Nuclear reactors and launches are also the reason for the ozone layer thinning. The rocket lounges cause lots of fog and pollution in the environment, which damages the ozone layer. The launch pads are a very harmful ozone layer.
- Nitrogenous compounds such as NO2,NO,N2O,etc are responsible for ozone layer depletion.
- The volcanic explosion is also responsible for the depletion of the ozone layer.
EFFECTS OF OZONE LAYER DEPLETION:
Ozone layer depletion is harmful for the earth and the people who are staying here. It not only causes harm to humans, even it causes harm to the environment and animals.
Due to ozone layer depletion, the ultraviolet rays directly come into contact with the humans and it causes harmful diseases in them. It might result in serious problems such as skin diseases,cancer,sunburn,cataract and weakened immune system.
The ultraviolet rays may affect the environment,it could lead minimal growth,flowering and photosynthesis in plants. The forest also has to bear the harmful effects of the ultraviolet rays. Forest fire is one of them.
Skin and eye cancer are diseases that the animals will face when the UV rays will fall on their skin.
In marine life,the planktons are greatly affected by the uv rays. These are higher in the aquatic food chain. The lower chain animals are also affected.
WAYS TO PROTECT OZONE LAYER DEPLETION:
Here we have mentioned the ways by which we could prevent the ozone layer depletion.
- Avoid the consumption of gases dangerous to the ozone layer.
- Minimize the use of cars.
- Do not use cleaning products that are harmful to the environment and to us.
- Buy local products.
- Maintain air conditioners.
- Avoid Using Pesticides.
- Use Eco-friendly Cleaning Products.
- Use of Nitrous Oxide should be Prohibited.
“Keep Ozone from becoming the no zone.”
This world ozone day tries to save the ozone layer.
Happy World Ozone Day 2020!